Currently reading: Paris 1919 by Margaret MacMillan
-- Recommended by my International Human Rights professor. Apparently Ms. MacMillan is the granddaughter of David Lloyd George.
Just finished: The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie
-- Entertaining, quick read. Too clever by half for its own good, but I found it more entertaining if I imagined Stephen Fry & Hugh Laurie reading it aloud.
-- The one aspect that really comes through and sticks is Laurie's love of motorcycles.
Just finished: Guerrillas by V.S. Naipaul
-- Cannot decide if this novel is better or worse than The Sheltering Sky, by Bowles.
-- Point in favor: the "exotic charmer" is given a voice, and something of a presence.
-- Point against: impossible to tell when, if ever, the seducer is speaking truth as opposed to fantasy.
Just finished: Inner Workings by J.M. Coetzee
-- Wonderful essay on Sebald, and another good one on Roth. Every time I read a book of collected literary essays, I come away with a fresh list of books to read (or re-read).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment